Monday, August 11, 2014

Understanding Your Purpose & Your Friends Better


A few months back my dear friend Becky and I decided to begin a mini book club...right now the member count is: 2 (her and myself). For our first selection, we opted to read The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. Honestly, the past few weeks have been both emotionally and physically trying, and re-reading this book could not have occurred at a better time. Reading it has given me a sense of peace and a better understanding of God's plan for my life. It has also encouraged me to forgive those in my life that have unintentionally hurt me.

The book has a fabulously simple format; Read a chapter (only about 4 pages in length) each evening and answer the "Question to Consider" at the end of each chapter. The book is meant to be read over a 40 day span (since it is comprised of 40 chapters) with an accountability partner.

Since Becky and I live hundreds of miles apart, we don't have the luxury of meeting up at one another's home to discuss the readings over snacks and tea. Instead, we enjoy our book club virtually! We read a chapter every almost every evening and answer the "Question to Consider" via email. I have to say, this has been a beautiful experience for the both of us. Not only do we get the opportunity to journal our feelings and insights about rather intriguing and personal questions, we get to share our answers with each other. This process has encouraged me to be extremely vulnerable with Becky; In doing so, we are getting to know each other on a deeper and more spiritual level. For that, I am grateful.

I encourage each of you to become more vulnerable with those around you. Developing intimate friendships/ relationships take effort and an element of risk. Afterwards you may find yourself feeling more understood, more supported, and much more connected.

Why not give the virtual book club a try?










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...